Victorian novelty silver jelly mould in the form of a Japanese Noh mask marked for London 1882 by Louis Dee.
Dimensions: 10.1 cm high by 8.3 cm wide by 2.3 cm deep.
Weight: 53 grams.
H.W. and L. Dee
This interesting firm, usually listed as working jewellers or wholesale working jewellers, appears to have been established c. 1827 by Thomas William Dee (c.1792-1869) and John Fargues at 8 Sherrard Street, Golden Square, Soho. Fargues seems to have left the partnership c.1851 after which T.W. Dee continued at first alone at 8 Sherrard Street and from c.1854 with Henry William Dee trading as Thomas William Dee & Son. Another of T.W. Dee’s sons, Louis Dee joined c. 1859 after which the business was restyled Thomas William Dee & Sons. Their address was changed in 1862 to 8 Sherwood Street, Golden Square . The firm’s name was changed to H.W. and L. Dee following T.W. Dee’s retirement on 31st March 1867 at which time they were described as jewellers and silversmiths, H.W. Dee retired. Louis Dee thereafter remained in control of the business until his death aged 52 on 23rd August 1884, leaving an estate of £36, 681 17 8d. In his will he left instructions that the patterns and tools in his custody relating to ‘collar and badge work’ be offered at a nominal £3 to James Mortimer Garrard of R. and S. Garrard & Co. He also mentioned his designer, Thomas Reeves; his clerks, Thomas Barys Jenkins and Richard Eve; and his friends, Henry Cannon senior, an engraver of 95 St. George’s Road, Camberwell, and Alfred Clark, the retail goldsmith and jeweller of Old Bond Street, W. Dee’s business was assigned, on 22nd December 1884 to Leuchar’s & Son, dressing case makers, stationers and silversmiths of 38 and 39 Piccadilly, W, who were in turn assigned to Asprey & Co on 2nd August 1888.