George V silver stirrup cup with riding whip handle marked for Birmingham 1924, by W Spurrier & Co. This is a copy of the one made by William Stroud in 1788 for the Earl of Lonsdale. The engraved shield reads: Replica of the Earl of Lonsdale’s, Stirrup cup A.D. 1788. It was presented by Hugh Lowther, the 5th Earl of Lonsdale. The presentation inscription reads: THE DURBAN STIRRUP CUP PRESENTED BY THE EARL OF LONSDALE. IN COMMEMORATION OF THE KINDNESS RECEIVED FROM ALL DURING HIS VISIT TO SOUTH AFRICA.
Dimensions: 29,9 cm long by 3,3 cm cup diameter.
Weight: 133 grams.